• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Welcome to Talk Nintendo

Welcome to Talk Nintendo. This is a friendly community about the Nintendo and their games and you can take part simply and easily by joining. By doing this, you can post in the forums, play arcade games, start your own blog, download Nintendo music for free and much more. So join Talk Nintendo today, you won't regret it!

Additionally, joining Talk Nintendo gets rid of the ads.
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Nintendo 2DS overlooked problems?

2DS

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Vincerific

Vincerific

Hajimemashite!

• Moderators
  • 2,278 posts
  • Game you're currently playing:Pokémon X
  • Favourite 3DS game:Pokémon X
  • 3DS Name:Vincerific
  • Nintendo Network ID:Vincerific
  • 3DS Friend Code:3539-9231-4343

Posted 26 October 2013 - 04:05 PM

So, I was reading the advertisement on Nintendo's website for the 2DS and a thought instantly occurred to me; how will that work?

Let me explain; For those of you who do not know the 2DS is a non-clamshell 3DS without any 3DS capability. Basically a very large Gameboy SP but for 3DS and MOST DS games. Nintendo's website states it is compatible with ALL 3DS games.

My question is simply "How?" Anyone who ever played into Super Mario 3D Land knows that there are special areas that require the 3D feature to be on or you will NOT know where you are going - seemingly empty spaces will be as invisible walls and ceilings. So, how will Nintendo work around that? Do you think it was simply overlooked when they themselves advertised SM3DL as having those areas to promote the game and system's 3D effect?

Now, that is merely one game I use as an example, I am sure there are more out there. If anyone can think of any other games with similar problems post them. And if you end up obtaining a 2DS and have SM3DL then please fill us in on how it works out in those areas.

My only thought is that they would have to patch the game somehow ot have the system recognize those areas and tell it to output visually as if the 3D effects were on.

Thoughts, anyone?

Posted ImagePosted ImageThanks to Porkman for the awesome display / signature pic of my character, Vierna!

#2 Blue

Blue

Pokéman

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • Favourite 3DS game:A Link Between Worlds
  • 3DS Name:Blue
Shop Items

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

I don't have a 2ds, but in SM3DL's case, in each of those areas there is a panel which when stood on changes the camera angle, revealing what you need to do.

ghoulmedal.png

#3 Vincerific

Vincerific

Hajimemashite!

• Moderators
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:26 PM

I don't have a 2ds, but in SM3DL's case, in each of those areas there is a panel which when stood on changes the camera angle, revealing what you need to do.

I completely forgot about that panel. lol

Posted ImagePosted ImageThanks to Porkman for the awesome display / signature pic of my character, Vierna!

#4 Link 70222

Link 70222

Link 70222

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
  • Game you're currently playing:Mii Channel
  • 3DS Friend Code:0817-3816-9562
Shop Items

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

Yeah, Nintendo's policy is that every 3DS game MUST be fully playable in 2D, it's been that way since the beginning. Because of this I don't think anything you play on 2DS would have this kind of problem.

gallery_8_265_251343.png

#5 Blue

Blue

Pokéman

• Members
  • 702 posts
  • Favourite 3DS game:A Link Between Worlds
  • 3DS Name:Blue
Shop Items

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

There are a couple of puzzles in some ds games that involve closing the lid. Anyone playing those for the first time will certainly have a harder time than those with something other than a 2ds.

ghoulmedal.png

#6 Vincerific

Vincerific

Hajimemashite!

• Moderators
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 06:19 PM

There are a couple of puzzles in some ds games that involve closing the lid. Anyone playing those for the first time will certainly have a harder time than those with something other than a 2ds.

that is probably why it says "most" and not "all" for the DS compatibility. Good catch. I was wondering that.

#7 ShyGuyXXL

ShyGuyXXL

Fire Flower

• Members
  • 790 posts
  • Nintendo Network ID:ShyGuyXXL
  • 3DS Friend Code:1375-7218-8258

Posted 26 October 2013 - 11:52 PM

Yeah, the lid puzzles... There was one in phantom hourglass. I got stuck on that for quite a while even with a normal DS so I feel sorry for people who don't get what to do. I'm guessing you can still solve them by pausing the game with the sleep button thingy but it doesn't make any sense like that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

thanks_brawl_by_shyguyxxl-d780ch3.png

#8 Darkrai

Darkrai

It's been too long

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Game you're currently playing:N/A
  • Favourite 3DS game:Mario Kart 7
  • 3DS Name:STVH
  • Nintendo Network ID:STVH1295
  • 3DS Friend Code:5455-9682-0735

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:21 AM

you cant play bowsers inside story i belive because of that one cut scene where toads worth makes you shut your ds for 10 minutes, why do games even do things like that?

My MK7 Community If Anyone Is Interested: 45-3978-0532-6581

PSN - STVH1295

Dueling Network Name - <STVH>

The following people ive added but not have added me back

Tiger21820 - 0302-0580-1162
re11ding - 1418 6809 8843
NintendoChannel - 5370 0450 8887
Mike - 5241 2374 2686
deathservant1 - 4339 2722 3128
KingLakitu - 0774 4255 5096
dantheman - 3351 4126 4381

if you have a new fc or dont wanna add me back, let me know and ill take you off the list

#9 Vincerific

Vincerific

Hajimemashite!

• Moderators
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

you cant play bowsers inside story i belive because of that one cut scene where toads worth makes you shut your ds for 10 minutes, why do games even do things like that?

Really? It makes you take a 10 minute reprieve? that is SO lame! Maybe the Home button, like ShyGuy said would work.

#10 Link 70222

Link 70222

Link 70222

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
Shop Items

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:44 PM

10 minutes of closed DS? That's beyond dumb, that's Earthbound levels of tedious. I haven't beaten Bowser's Inside Story but I'm sure there's nothing like that in there.

Anyway, the 2DS comes with a sleep mode switch, it gives the same effect as a closed DS. They thought it all through.

gallery_8_265_251343.png

#11 Darkrai

Darkrai

It's been too long

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Game you're currently playing:N/A
  • Favourite 3DS game:Mario Kart 7
  • 3DS Name:STVH
  • Nintendo Network ID:STVH1295
  • 3DS Friend Code:5455-9682-0735

Posted 29 October 2013 - 04:09 PM

10 minutes of closed DS? That's beyond dumb, that's Earthbound levels of tedious. I haven't beaten Bowser's Inside Story but I'm sure there's nothing like that in there.

Anyway, the 2DS comes with a sleep mode switch, it gives the same effect as a closed DS. They thought it all through.

im serious, the 10 minute thing exists on BIS, i should know, ive beaten the game like 4 times already

My MK7 Community If Anyone Is Interested: 45-3978-0532-6581

PSN - STVH1295

Dueling Network Name - <STVH>

The following people ive added but not have added me back

Tiger21820 - 0302-0580-1162
re11ding - 1418 6809 8843
NintendoChannel - 5370 0450 8887
Mike - 5241 2374 2686
deathservant1 - 4339 2722 3128
KingLakitu - 0774 4255 5096
dantheman - 3351 4126 4381

if you have a new fc or dont wanna add me back, let me know and ill take you off the list

#12 Darking

Darking

Mario Kart fan and expert racer.

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Game you're currently playing:Cave Story
  • Favourite 3DS game:Mario Friggin Kart 7

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:36 AM

In which part of the game does that occur? Because I've also beaten it and I don't remember anything like that.

Also, in SM3DL there're actually many portions of the game where you need the 3D to know where you're going and there isn't a view button, like the cloud sections.

#13 Vincerific

Vincerific

Hajimemashite!

• Moderators
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

In which part of the game does that occur? Because I've also beaten it and I don't remember anything like that.

Also, in SM3DL there're actually many portions of the game where you need the 3D to know where you're going and there isn't a view button, like the cloud sections.

So I WASN'T remembering incorrectly! And in the lower corner it says "3D" to let you know the 3D needs to be on, right?

#14 Mother/EarthBound Collection

Mother/EarthBound Collection

Greatest Mother/EarthBound Fan & Influencer

• Members
  • 754 posts
  • Game you're currently playing:I'm not gonna keep updating this every time I play something else.
  • Favourite 3DS game:Kid Icarus: Uprising
  • 3DS Name:Reggie
  • Nintendo Network ID:MotherEBTrilogy
  • 3DS Friend Code:5043-1499-5753

Posted 04 November 2013 - 02:12 PM

I'm stuck on that X/Y commercial that says Pokemon X and Y are both for Nintendo 3DS and 2DS. Why bother making 2DS ports if the system can already play the 3DS ones?

Mother/EarthBound Trilogy Collection Game for both 3DS AND Wii U Retail/Download Only!!!!!

Includes: Mother (EarthBound Zero), Mother 2 (EarthBound), AND Mother 3 (EarthBound 2)

It's GOING to happen one way or another, as promised by ME!

If you haven't tried the Mother/EarthBound franchise, do so NOW! You will have no regrets. Then support this goal in any way you can!

Posted Image

#15 Vincerific

Vincerific

Hajimemashite!

• Moderators
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 03:47 PM

I'm stuck on that X/Y commercial that says Pokemon X and Y are both for Nintendo 3DS and 2DS. Why bother making 2DS ports if the system can already play the 3DS ones?

Saves space on the cart and since X and Y STILL have frame rate issues even AFTER a patch that was suppose to address that... yeah, removing all the 3D data and freeing some space up on the cart will fix it. And the commercial may just mean it is compatible with both since I have yet to see any boxes that say 2DS on them for any games and they all still use the 3DS boxes.

#16 True Gamer 007

True Gamer 007

True Gamer

• Members
  • 364 posts
  • Game you're currently playing:Super Mario 3D Land
  • Favourite 3DS game:New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • 3DS Name:Sam
  • 3DS Friend Code:1075-1838-0402

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:54 PM

im serious, the 10 minute thing exists on BIS, i should know, ive beaten the game like 4 times already

You can skip the 10 minutes break by pressing ABXYLRYXBA.

Spoiler

I can't believe you haven't discovered this. I have played Bowser's Inside story 5 times, and I discovered this in my 3rd go.

Besides, you don't have to close the DS, it doesn't work, you have to keep it open.

Hey there!

11823673.png

#17 Link 70222

Link 70222

Link 70222

• Members
  • 2,095 posts
Shop Items

Posted 04 November 2013 - 10:58 PM

So I WASN'T remembering incorrectly! And in the lower corner it says "3D" to let you know the 3D needs to be on, right?

No, that signifies what kind of 3D you have on, popping out or in depth. 

Saves space on the cart and since X and Y STILL have frame rate issues even AFTER a patch that was suppose to address that...

The patch was to fix the Lumiose City glitch, not to fix the slowdown in battles and whatnot.

What are you talking about? There are no 2DS ports, every 3DS game is compatible with 2DS and that's it. A 2DS is just an alternate way of playing 3DS games.

gallery_8_265_251343.png

#18 Vincerific

Vincerific

Hajimemashite!

• Moderators
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:38 AM

Saves space on the cart and since X and Y STILL have frame rate issues even AFTER a patch that was suppose to address that...

The patch was to fix the Lumiose City glitch, not to fix the slowdown in battles and whatnot.

What are you talking about? There are no 2DS ports, every 3DS game is compatible with 2DS and that's it. A 2DS is just an alternate way of playing 3DS games.

Popping-out? When did the 3DS add that other than the ring on Lego Lord of the Rings and MAYBE the "VS" in player battles in X and Y. I wish they used it more :/

And ah, okay, I was told it was to fix the frame rates as well.

#19 True Gamer 007

True Gamer 007

True Gamer

• Members
  • 364 posts
  • Game you're currently playing:Super Mario 3D Land
  • Favourite 3DS game:New Super Mario Bros. 2
  • 3DS Name:Sam
  • 3DS Friend Code:1075-1838-0402

Posted 05 November 2013 - 07:27 AM

Popping-out? When did the 3DS add that other than the ring on Lego Lord of the Rings and MAYBE the "VS" in player battles in X and Y. I wish they used it more :/

And ah, okay, I was told it was to fix the frame rates as well.

Vin is right, in some of the mystery box puzzles there is 3D on the lower-right to indicate that 3d has to be on for seeing the puzzle properly.

Pressing up-down on the d-pad switches the 3d modes from normal to more depth. This appears on the lower-left.

And to everyone who is confused:

2DS is a 3DS without the 3d feature, nothing more, nothing less. With the exception of one feature 3DS==2DS

Hey there!

11823673.png

#20 Vincerific

Vincerific

Hajimemashite!

• Moderators
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:14 AM

Vin is right, in some of the mystery box puzzles there is 3D on the lower-right to indicate that 3d has to be on for seeing the puzzle properly.

Pressing up-down on the d-pad switches the 3d modes from normal to more depth. This appears on the lower-left.

Thank you, True..

Proof I am not insane: http://www.ign.com/a...-3d-land-review

Quote: "Certain parts of 3D Land, during which a small 3D symbol appears on the top screen, you'll find near impossible to pull off without activating the 3D."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 2DS