• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Welcome to Talk Nintendo

Welcome to Talk Nintendo. This is a friendly community about the Nintendo and their games and you can take part simply and easily by joining. By doing this, you can post in the forums, play arcade games, start your own blog, download Nintendo music for free and much more. So join Talk Nintendo today, you won't regret it!

Additionally, joining Talk Nintendo gets rid of the ads.
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrade SD Card

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Andy

Andy

Mushrooms

• Members
  • 377 posts
  • Game you're currently playing:Xenoblade Chronicles, Pandora's Tower, Radiant Historia, FIFA 2013 and many more on DS, PS3, 3DS, 360, PC, PSP and Wii.
  • Favourite 3DS game:Resident Evil Revelations
  • 3DS Friend Code:4296-3001-5967

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:26 AM

I am considering to buy a new SD card due to several reasons.

We all know that the eshop (includes demos, prototype game, classic games and etc) and new updates are coming soon. Do you think 2GB is enough?

Considering you likes to take pictures in your 3DS, store many songs and so on, are you going to buy a new SD Card (16GB or 32 GB) to replace the 2GB SD card?

Does anyone know any good SD card?

Friend Code: 4296-3001-5967

#2 Link 70222

Link 70222

Link 70222

• Members
  • 2,088 posts
  • Game you're currently playing:Mii Channel
  • 3DS Friend Code:0817-3816-9562
Shop Items

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:33 AM

2 GB should be fine, but maybe you should get 4 GB or something. You're not going to be buying everything in the E-Shop right? And not everything is going to take up a lot of memory.

gallery_8_265_251343.png

#3 TheUltimateKoopa

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 01:45 AM

There's no such thing as a good SD card. An SD card is an SD card. The only differences that actually count, are the capacaties, really. A Toshiba 2GB is no different than a SanDisk 2GB. Also I have a 32 GB SDHC card, which is the highest it can support so far. A 2 GB might be enough for a while, but then you'll eventually run out. If you have 32 GB, while you might think it's a lot, possibly too much, you never know. You might end up having like 10000 or more photos, or have downloaded enough software, etc to fill it up. Or, on the other hand, if you have a 2 GB, there's that chance that you'll have eventually filled it up, just as that game you were waiting for is available in the eShop, however, with 32 GB, you can fill 16 times as much space. IIRC every single Game Boy game and Game Boy Color game ever released in the US I think would take up enough space on a 32 GB SD card to still leave... well a few GB at least. I think all GB and GBC titles come to about 10 or more GB? Maybe even less?

Like Link said, if you're not planning on necessarily getting much (maybe getting a few eShop titles, and storing some extra data), a 2 GB or maybe 4 GB is OK. However, if you simply want "virtually unlimited" space, so you can download every title that's available and save over a few hundreds replays, or other extra bits of data you can like replays in Ridge Racer 3D, and presumably ghosts in Mario Kart 3DS, and still have enough room to hold a few albums to listen to with 3DS Sound, and a few thousand photos in 3D, get a 32 GB.

In short, it's up to you. Do you want one that's just enough for you to store what you want, or one that allows you to store as much as you want? Think of it this way... would you rather have enough money for maybe a few games, or enough money to buy the world's most valuable mansion, the most expensive car in the world, and even take over a very very big company, such as Sony, and still have enough money to buy all the contents of Buckingham Palace?

#4 Super Leaf

Super Leaf

Official N3DSC Leaf

• Members
  • 2,688 posts
  • Game you're currently playing:Pikmin 2
  • Favourite 3DS game:Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7
  • 3DS Name:Super Leaf
  • 3DS Friend Code:4296-3066-7290

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:15 AM

I have 2 2GB ones.Is that good?

Roses are red,

violets are blue,

never forget,

what I say to you.

Timing is vital,

aim must be true,

measure the angle,

and win, do!

#5 Link 70222

Link 70222

Link 70222

• Members
  • 2,088 posts
  • Game you're currently playing:Mii Channel
  • 3DS Friend Code:0817-3816-9562
Shop Items

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:52 AM

That sounds fine. I recommend you use one for media and the other for gaming things.

gallery_8_265_251343.png

#6 TheUltimateKoopa

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:15 AM

2 GB is the minimum. Although there's NOTHING wrong with using 32 GB. It might seem unnecessary at first.

#7 RootBoi

RootBoi

Dr. Greenthumb

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Game you're currently playing:The Witcher 2
  • Favourite 3DS game:Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
  • 3DS Friend Code:2492-4140-3369

Posted 01 May 2011 - 07:22 AM

For now It should be enough unless you fill it up with mp3s. I would wait till the eshop comes otherwise, just to see how much you will really use it and how big the games are. Right now besides mp3s, there isn't much use for more space

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4140-3369
A Friend In Need Is A Friend Indeed, But A Friend With Weed Is Bettaa..

they laugh at me cuz I'm different, i laugh at them cuz they are all the same....

I'm not drunk. I am just exhausted from a long night of drinking!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 kunino-sagiri

kunino-sagiri

DK Balloon

• Members
  • 1,208 posts
  • 3DS Friend Code:1032-1215-8427

Posted 01 May 2011 - 12:48 PM

Bear in mind that the 3DS has 2GB of its own internal memory, too.

"I swear on the name of Dumuzid, the Shepherd, consort of Ishtar! Your ass is mine, punk!" - Thomas Mutton

#9 TheUltimateKoopa

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 03:55 PM

You're sure about that? Also, if you want to fill your SD card with songs, without taking up too much space, but not having them awful quality, try using AAC files instead of MP3. I've had AAC files as small as 80 kbps, or exactly 600 kilobytes per minute.

#10 kunino-sagiri

kunino-sagiri

DK Balloon

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 12:24 AM

Well, that's what wikipedia says.
Of course you can necessarily trust that, but i do know that the 3DS saves photos to the internal memory by default, and it seems to have room for quite a lot. It also says in the manual that up to 40 DSiWare titles can be stored on the internal memory.

"I swear on the name of Dumuzid, the Shepherd, consort of Ishtar! Your ass is mine, punk!" - Thomas Mutton

#11 TheUltimateKoopa

TheUltimateKoopa

Banned

• Banned
  • 3,972 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 01:55 AM

IF by "can trust" you meant to say "can't trust", I'm going to slap you. Of the many things that I hate, this is one of them. This stupid "OMG u can edit teh wiki so it iznt reliabel" thing.

#12 kunino-sagiri

kunino-sagiri

DK Balloon

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:29 PM

No, i believe it myself or i wouldn't have posted it. I see no reason not to.
I was merely stating 'if you can trust' as a sort of disclaimer, in case you were one of those people who thinks every single fact on Wikipedia is fabricated.

#13 RootBoi

RootBoi

Dr. Greenthumb

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Game you're currently playing:The Witcher 2
  • Favourite 3DS game:Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon
  • 3DS Friend Code:2492-4140-3369

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:38 AM

Wikipedia can be the pest spot for information, you just gotta know how to use it. I use it for college work all the time, the beauty of wikipidia are the References at the bottom that are linked to every statement. So when you dont trust something on wikipedia just check the source. My dad is a professor and uses it for his work

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4140-3369
A Friend In Need Is A Friend Indeed, But A Friend With Weed Is Bettaa..

they laugh at me cuz I'm different, i laugh at them cuz they are all the same....

I'm not drunk. I am just exhausted from a long night of drinking!

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image